Saturday, March 5, 2011

Moving Forward...

So this is my first attempt at "blogging". My husband, Sean, suggested that I keep daily writings to put all of my thoughts in one spot. This would make it easier to keep track of where I want to go and help document my creative flow. This is something I would've probably done years ago, keeping a diary of sorts that is, but you know how it goes---life was just too busy for that! 

Life is still busy, but I have surfaced with a new sense of purpose after these last few years of having children, attending college, and dealing with the ups-and-downs of married life. This is somewhat a "re-birth" of myself, or another way to put it in perspective, the start of a new quest in my life, Dora's Quest. I have gained new knowledge and insights along the way from young adulthood to now that have finally formed into pleasant outcomes to some extent, but still yearning for perfection and smoothing of the rough edges. I have been trying to figure out my life's purpose or path and I think that I've always known it deep inside, but have had to experience a multitude of hardship and challenges to bring the best out of me. 

After the birth of my first child, I was a whole new person. No more partying, no more being spontaneous and doing as I please, this really made me realize that caring for a child out of pure joy and love was more rewarding than doing all the frivolous things I used to do. I decided it was time to educate myself and I wanted to so that I would know more about the world to help me be a better mother to my son, a better wife to my husband. After our move to the country, I decided it was time to attend college and I did. 

Going to a small community college was fine with me. The college had a limited choice of degree options and since I had some land to play with I decided upon the Agriculture degree. This was a two year, associates level degree and I thought if I complete this then I will just transfer if I wanted to a four year college. Attending college has been the best thing I could've done for myself and my family. I acquired an obsession for insects and the field of Entomology, excelled very well through my Biology courses, tackled the pesky Algebra with flying colors, had a baby girl in the middle of all this, started volunteering for Highlands Nature Sanctuary (Ft. Hill and Serpent Mound), volunteered to do stream quality monitoring to learn about aquatic insects, attended some advanced naturalist workshops, and at the end of the degree took some wonderful ceramic courses with a great instructor, Nancy Ache. It was the culmination of all these subjects that brought me to now. So, as I prepare to graduate with my two year degree in Agriculture, I have decided to pursue my love of artistic and biological sciences and try my hand at ceramics and insect photography while exploring other similar possibilities. I will take a few years off from full time college to pursue this part of "Dora's Quest" and to raise my babies.

The next few posts will be geared toward my creative approach towards my ceramic work, beekeeping, gardening, homeschooling, and my photography. You never know until you try and I would rather have fun doing what inspires me than doing what limits my capabilities. The hardest part sometimes is believing in yourself and pushing your confidence level up to where it should be. I have come to terms that if I enjoy myself doing what I do then this should become easier for me as I move forward. Happy days ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment